Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lessons Learned

As I sat out on the deck during out last day at sea I started to write down all the lessons I have learned here on here on the Mercy. I'm sure this list will continue to grow as time goes on, but I want to share some on my blog. 

  1. Making new friends makes life so much better. I have met people from all over the world here on the Mercy and have enjoyed this time together and am a better person because of it. I believe that we can learn from all people.IMG_3812

  2. Don't let your fears over take you. I am extremely claustrophobic and the first day when I got assigned my rack in berthing I saw how small it was. I had to get down on the floor just to put sheets on my bed and as I did this tears ran down my face. I thought never in a million years could I sleep in my coffin like rack. I was terrified, tired and homesick and thought what have I gotten myself into. Now after 35 days of sleeping soundly in this small rack I have found that I can face my fears and not let my them conquer me.

  3. Angels are watching over us. One of IMG_3295aour LDSC group fell into the ocean between a Band-aid boat and the Ambon pier. He was coming back from liberty and it was dark and he does not see well, he had his hands full of purchases and he thought he was stepping onto a step of the boat instead he found himself in the ocean. At first I thought it was funny, but then I went back to the pier at night to go to the Soeharso and saw where he fell and I was astounded that he was not killed or crushed.  I know angels were definitely watching over him.

  4. Wearing the same clothes for 30 days – day after day after day – really isn't that bad. It has been easy to get ready each day as I don't have to think about what to wear and I can focus my energy on more important things. Material things we think we must have are not really necessary.

  5. Sacrifice brings blessings. One of our LDSC group sold all her possessions to come live on the Mercy for 4 months – her house, car and all of her furniture. She has an amazing heart!IMG_3189

  6. Walking hundred of stairs a day actually has a cleansing effect. So skip the elevators and escalators and take the stairs!

  7. Always look for opportunities to serve others. Those opportunities are there every day, but we must be looking for them. One evening we were playing games on the mess deck and they were ushering everyone out so they could stock the tables and get things ready for the next day. My little group started to leave and then something made me pause – where were we going – someone needed help. I then asked – hey can we help you? The sailor was taken back and said yes. We did all his work in record time and then he took us on a tour of the galley and gave us treats. We blessed him and he blessed us. 

  8. All children are precious unto Christ. I have looked into so many Indonesian children's eyes and have seen their purity and light and know how much the Lord loves them. He loves all his children all over the world – both young and old.

  9. I can be a morning person.IMG_3654

  10. Never be afraid to live life to the fullest. I am have found that it is best to be a participant and not a spectator in life. I loved volunteering for new experiences, learning the Crazy Bamboo game, dancing with the Commodore, trying durian fruit, being unafraid to meet new people, and sitting down by someone I did not know, at meals times or on a bus, and getting to know them has helped me make many new friends.  IMG_3626

3 comments:

  1. I love your lessons learned! I am honored to be one of those new friends you met. Thank you so much for all you did to serve me while you were here. I am now trying to do the same for the new people on board. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this Melinda! I am so glad you have had such a great experience. Things like this make our everyday life sweeter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melinda, I have loved reading your blog and following you on your wonderful adventure!!! Thank you for your service and for sharing so many of your amazing experiences. Most of all, I've enjoyed your insightful comments and "lessons learned" - not just today but all throughout your voyage. Thank you again and have a safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete