Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb

I have experienced the most amazing, serene, incredible, breath-taking experience ever! 001_1 Suzie Bramwell and I both had significant birthdays this week – both of us turned 29 – well maybe it’s a little higher, but you get the idea, so we decided that we would splurge and do the Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb at twilight.  Words cannot even describe the feelings I felt as I was on top of this bridge overlooking the Sydney Opera house and Sydney harbor with the sunset behind us.  002_2 We just could not stop smiling the whole time.  My new birthday goal is “Ever Striving to Reach New Heights – Never Give Up!”  This bridge climb inspired this new goal. We climbed 1,400 steps which was no big deal after the hundreds of steps that we were used to climbing in the Mercy. I would say that I am a pro at stairs by now.

The best thing about our whole experience is that we decided to the the Express Climb which is a 2 hour climb instead of the normal climb 3 1/2 hour and no one else signed up for our tour so we got a private “VIP” climb all by ourselves with a guide.  Our guide, Mick, was the best and he let us stop a ton and just chill and soak up all the amazing sights below.  We started at dusk and were able to experience all the colors of sunset over the harbor and then got to see the incredible view of Sydney in the dark with the whole downtown and the opera house all lit up. 003_3 Wow, wow, wow.  I was able to sit on the steps and just gaze over the edge and just contemplate the incredible sights below. Sydney is such a beautiful city – it is so clean and the people are very friendly.  I would definitely return here again.  Afterwards I just felt an amazing contentment.  Susie and I could just not stop smiling!  Going at twilight made it all worthwhile.  I felt so special to have the VIP service – what an incredible birthday gift. The only thing that would have made it more perfect would have been to have my sweetheart, Jody with me! 

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome birthday opportunity! I just watched "Finding Nemo" with a few college friends and wish I could go visit Australia! Thanks for blogging Sister Jennings! I love great tour guides. I will add that to my traveling to-do list. Have fun and keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Melinda - hope you're recovering. I just posted a summary of our Indonesian adventure on my blog and I used lots of your postings. You did such a good job describing some experiences I had as well as those you had that were different than mine. Hope you don't mind. It was a treat to be associated with you.
    Thanks, Susan

    ReplyDelete