Friday, July 23, 2010

Kalamata Fortress

July 22, 2010
Our first stop we were scheduled to go to was a Portegese fortress named, Kalamata Fortress, that was built in 1609. It was made of volcanic rock that is plentiful all along this island as Ternate is at the base of an active volcano. Kalamata was built right next to the sea with a beautiful view – or I guess their thoughts were different – maybe a strategic view would be more precise. We took a bunch of pictures and climbed the walls for daring shots, where I'm sure in the States it would have said “Stay off walls”, but here it was just part of the adventure. Our day was overcast so before we left so I stashed a large clear garbage sack that I found in the OR into my bag and I cut a small hole for my head. When we were at the fort it started to rain down pretty persistently so I donned my garbage sack. I'm sure my children would have disowned me and walked away, but it kept me pretty dry and I'm not proud.



As we were leaving we were able to view a traditional ceremony or dance called “Crazy Bamboo” One of the local women, who spoke English, told me that years ago bamboo was their way of moving materials from one place to another. Men would hold onto the bamboo that was laden down with goods or attached to heavy objects and they would pull the bamboo and the objects along with it. In order to encourage these men a foreman would hold a hot fiery stick close to them and tell them to move faster. This dance had similar tactics. Men, dressed in bright green shiny outfits all held onto this long bamboo pole and other “foremen of sorts” chased them with a hot fiery stick yelling some bamboo chant as they went. The stick was waved in all crazy directions so the bamboo men were spinning in circles and weaving all over the muddy, rain soaked field. They asked for volunteers to participate in the “Crazy Bamboo” ritual and I'm not one to miss out of volunteering so out I ran, clad in my garbage sack to be a crazy bamboo person. I just laughed as I sloshed around in the mud with these crazy Indonesian men. I found out that the fire stick was really on fire and yes I was running in circles trying to stay away from getting burned. My tennis shoes now have mud from Singapore and Ternate forever etched in them.


No comments:

Post a Comment