Saturday, July 24, 2010

OR in Ternate

 Here are some stats from Ternate:  78 surgeries, saw 10,500 patients on shore, gave out 6,000 pairs of glasses, helped renovate a medical clinic and treated 200 animals. We spent 5 ½ days doing surgery in Ternate. Most days we ran 4 rooms all day and then a 5th room til lunchtime. Each room has one nurse and 2 techs assigned so we have plenty of help. There are usually 2 anesthesia people along with an anesthesia tech in the rooms, at least 2 surgeons, a translator and then there are always visitors. It never gets lonely in the OR. Here I have been able to see many surgeries that I would never see in the states. We did about 20 cleft lip and palate surgeries on children and even some adults in their 30's. It was amazing to watch the transformation from cleft to whole. We treated many children with clefts, hernias, and even one little 7 year old had 2 cataract surgeries and could not see before she came on board the Mercy and left with her sight. That is a life changing miracle for her. Sometimes it is hard to think of all those people who came to get help, but we had to turn them away because of time constraints. I feel bad that we cannot help everyone, but in the end I do believe it is about reaching out to the “one”. One person can make a difference and as we touch each one individually they in turn can go out and touch others lives. We just need to do the best we can serve others in life, keep a positive attitude in life and be grateful for all that the Lord has blessed us with.




This week I saw all sorts of lumps and bumps taken off. One older woman had a huge type of “skin tag” that was like a pendulum hanging down about 12 inches from under her armpit. The bump on the end was as big as my fist. She would just tuck this pendulous bump into her bra to stash it out of the way and she had lived with it her whole life. Two other women had lipomas on their backs that were as big as a breast that we took out. It would be a bit awkward trying to fit a normal shirt. It has been so nice to help these people. They are happy and a humble people who have shown great gratitude and love towards us. It has been a joy to work among them.



Once the day is done with surgery we have “folding parties”. All the linens, towels and scrubs from the previous day need to be folded and put away. Everyone pitches in to get it done , doctors, nurses, techs, anyone around helps fold clothes. It really is a fun time to all help out and pitch in.

This picture is for Rowan's Mom
When we leave a port we have to get all the surgery equipment, beds, IV poles, machines, tables and such and tie them to the wall so we are ready to go out to sea. I guess this is what is meant by “Batten down the Hatch”. Then on Monday we'll start over and untie everything once more so it will once again be ready. It's like totally closing up shop for the winter and stowing all the gear and then 2 days later getting it all out again. Everyone helps so it only took about an hour to get it all done. These Navy folks are very efficient. We will start surgery again on Tuesday when we get to Ambon, which will be my last stop before heading back to the States. We have 2 days at sea before we arrive.   We work with the Navy, partner nations, and other NGO's in the OR.  One day one of the Anesthesia Tech's, Rowan, who is with another NGO - UCSD Pre-Dental Society came up to me and said that his mother loved reading my blog.  I thought this was crazy that someone I did not know was reading my blog. HooRah for search engines and Rowan's mom your son is doing fine!

2 comments:

  1. Wow - I am soooo excited!!! I am so thankful for your wonderful gift - the photo of you and Rowan is terrific! Your smiles just lift my heart! I am also so very thankful for the wonderful pictures you have painted for me in your blogs. I live vicariously through them! You provide such a wonderful perspective on your mission and the people you are helping. You are definitely angels on the sea! I do feel a bit derelict that I have not yet written to you personally, Melinda. I actually had intentions to do so. I have found other blogs, but non as well done as yours. I got a link to it on the Pacific Partnership page on Facebook. In addition, I though it just might be possible that your path might have crossed Rowan's in the OR. Thank you again for the wonderful surprise - and best of luck to you in the end of your ship stay and your journey home. Mrs. Sheldon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi: It doesn't seem like you've been gone long enough that you to want to come home already. Your doing such wonderful miracles for those beautiful people. We feel like we are right along side you as you assist the Physicians. You should do more writing to go along with your photography. At the present we are having Singapore type weather, hot & muggy and a heat index of a 100++.
    Until later, Jim Daniels

    ReplyDelete