Monday, July 26, 2010

Sabbath Day on the Mercy

Today we are at sea so it is a free day and I am so grateful that it came on a Sunday. I get so much strength from the Sabbath and because we are not working I have been able to enjoy this quiet spirit filled day. Last night there were some of us that had been playing games in the chapel while some of the military folks were having choir practice. They sounded great and I asked where they were singing.  They told us that they would be singing on Sunday morning at the Protestant Service so we decided to go. We thought that we were going to listen to others sing, but instead the whole congregation sang together. Everyone stood up and swayed to the music. I had heard the songs the night before so I was familiar with them and enjoyed singing this spirited gospel music. The Pastor gave a nice message about “Worry”. The message on “worry” was really pretty good. The preacher said that worry is trying to control the uncontrollable. Very interesting to think about. He said that worry cannot change the past or control the future. It can only mess up today. Worry just weighs us down. That is very true. I'm going to remember that and worry less. Enjoy life to the fullest and don't worry about what we cannot control. This past week one of the CRNA's, Valerie Diaz, told me some advice her grandmother gave to her that I really liked- she said, “That's the thing about yesterday you'll never see it again so let it go.” Good advice that we should all take and learn to use the great power of forgiveness, for ourselves and for others.


After this service we went to our own LDS Service. The music was not as lively as the other service, but the peaceful spirit of the Lord was felt and filled my soul. I was asked to play the piano for the service and if anyone knows me they know that I do not play the piano in front of others, but life is about serving and not always being comfortable and I was asked and I could not decline. Sure someone else could have done better, but it is important not to miss out on opportunities just because someone else is better at it than ourselves. We need to get involved in life to improve and grow. Playing the piano for a church service definitely was a growing experience for me. Harold Davis, one of our Veterinarian's spoke in church today. He is an older gentleman who is amazing and carries the spirit with him when he speaks. He told a story of his Army Captain who is in charge of all the Vets. He described her as a regular rough and tough Army person. He said one day his group was talking about the dangers of being in this part of the world and possible terrorist dangers to the Mercy. He then shared this profound statement from this Army Captain, she said, “I don't have to worry as I have Mormon Angels watching over me. Mormons are too good and too kind for anything bad to happen to the Mercy.” This was a touching story and I feel blessed to be a part of a group that is perceived this way. There are some amazing people here and I feel privileged to be a part of this whole experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment