Friday, July 23, 2010

The Beach

July 22, 2010
After visiting the Sultans palace and another fortress we were off to snorkel at the beach. The drive to the beach took about 30 minutes and we actually drove along the same area that I had flown over on Sunday when I did the SurgCap. I was taught a lesson here somewhat. When we flew over the area I only saw rusted roofs and dirt, but as we drove I was able to see well kept colorful humble homes with children and goats running in the yards. I learned that there is always a different perspective to everything and that we must not let first impressions govern our opinions in life. We need to be open to learning more about people and places. Oft times there is more than meets the eye. I am so glad that I was able to broaden my perspective by seeing these homes close up.

The beach we went to was so beautiful. It was pretty small and tucked into a cove. They had hand carved canoes with bamboo outriggers fashioned to them with fishing line. The canoes were as quaint as the beach and only about $2 to rent. I was glad we had the canoe as I could hang onto it and snorkel at the same time.


This picture is for Kerry Parsons!!!

We went pretty far out and I think I would have gotten very tired that far from shore. We rented snorkel gear from the shop. This snorkel gear I'm sure had never been disinfected as I could see black guck all over it, but I just had to think – “When in Rome” so I closed my eyes and put that snorkel in my mouth and dove down to see the beautiful tropical fish. The coral was amazing and the fish were blue, orange, green and yellow. After awhile I got brave and let go of the canoe and would dive down deep to swim among the schools of fish. It was amazing to do this. I really enjoyed snorkeling and glad that I did it. I had not brough a swimsuit and one of the other women graciously lent her hers. In my hurry to change in the teeny tiny questionable dressing room I had put the swim top on back wards and so I swam all afternoon with the tankini top on inside out with a tag showing. I figured it just did not matter and our time was limited so I left it. In the middle of the bay the water was deep so all the canoes congregated and we were all climbing aboard (which I found very hard to get back in the boat from the ocean, but I did it) and then we were diving off into the ocean. This was fun. After awhile I was exhausted from paddling, swimming and diving and felt like a limp noodle. My little arm muscles were very tired. It was definitely a great memorable experience.

Too soon it was time to go. I went back to shore to get dressed and noticed a huge bucket of water with a scoop in the dressing room and found out that this was for rinsing off the salt water. This was kinda like a fresh shower after being at the beach. Very ingenious I think. I dipped in and rinsed off. I found out that the bucket in the other dressing room housed a large spider. I was glad that I was spared this sight as I do not like spiders at all. Before leaving I ordered some “fried bananas and hot sauce”. Green bananas are taken and sliced length wise and then fried. When the woman cut the bananas they resembled turnips in texture. The spicy red hot sauce was delicious and super hot. It gave a great kick to the bananas.

1 comment:

  1. Yum Yum on the fried bananas. wou can get the green frying kind at Krogers sometimes. Maybe get some good fish there also. It sounds like it was an interesting experience to snorkle.

    ReplyDelete